Search This Blog

Monday, June 2, 2008

My Inaugural Ride

So... today was my first day riding my new bike to work. My current route is about 5 miles one way, from ~ K-7 & Santa Fe to 118th & Renner, Olathe, KS. Now, that google map is a bit deceiving as the north-south part is actually on the Gary L Haller / Mill Creek Streamway Park Trail (extends further than the link shows) which winds around a bit but more or less parallels Nelson.



Some things I've realized:
  1. Having a large-ish uphill at the end of your commute sucks (leg 4 on the google map)... I had to "pansy out" and walk /ride the sidewalk, as I wasn't going to try to pedal up it with burned out legs in decently heavy traffic. Of course, that means a) the ride home is going to be fun, and b) I'll get stronger over time.
  2. Definitely shower at work. I'm going to skip showering before I leave as it's rather immaterial. I wound up soaked and had to shower anyway.
  3. The Haller Trail is beautiful. A shady green tunnel of solitude. Also, I saw bunnies, which is cool.
  4. The following signs in sequences mean slow down... now... really... a lot slower than you think... unless you like eating trees. Of course, if you're not getting enough roughage in your diet maybe you can think twice about slowing down...

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog. I too started biking to work (I live near Seattle, WA) and blogging about it. I only really officially started riding a majority of the time within the past year, roughly 2-3 times a week.

    ReplyDelete